Thursday, June 10, 2010

LOVE IT!

Well I really think I've found my place! Which feels AMAZING!!! There is never a dull moment at the long term care facility that I work at and tonight Eric got in on some of the action!! We had a fathers day BBQ and invited their families. I asked Eric to come to sit with residents who's families didn't show. It was also a good opportunity for him to meet some of the residents that I talk about.

Poor Eric he is subject to my jabbering of oh it was so cute when this person said this today.....etc......When I got home tonight I said, "Oh didn't you just love Ed. He's one of my favorite residents!" Eric's response....."well he didn't talk much but yeah I guess he was okay"

Well back to the BBQ we had steak, baked potato, sesame green beans, texas toast and apple pie ala mode. The male residents were SO excited for it. One guy held onto his invitation all day just waiting for 5:00, another made the therapy department take him to the activity room so that he could see where it was going to take place.....and he doesn't get excited about anything. Another would not believe us that we were really having steak! We had a barber shop quartet sing for an hour while they finished up dinner. Eric said one of the residents that sat near him just sang along!

Well afterward the Barber Shop Quartet hung around and ate some apple pie and Eric was visiting with them. Apparently they thought he would make a good bass (if you know Eric.....he doesn't carry a tune to well) and they actually made him sing doe, ra, mi, fa, so, ti, la.....LOL!!!!

I Really Love older adults and am so happy that I have the opportunity to touch peoples lives at the end of life and hopefully I make it a happy time for them and can bring them joy.

Funny Quote of the Day: "One of our male residents stopped me in the hallway and told me that I just looked really classy in my skirt" Well.....I wouldn't categorize the skirt I wore as "classy" more fun and summery but you can make that judgment call.

No judging on how I look....this is after being at work for 11 1/2 hours today.......and if I come home and blog about how much I love my job after a day like that.....its saying something! :-)

HAPPY FRIDAY TO ALL!

4 comments:

  1. You look adorable--and incredibly happy! You're making your mark. There's no better feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've found your place and Eric has been drug along to help his family at their jobs for many years, so glad you're keeping him at it! I'm sure he went willingly with you!CL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you're happy! And I do believe you are making a difference. Who wouldn't be impacted by a "classy" woman like you!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so happy for you, Jill. I can't wait to experience that "aha" moment of feeling like I've finally found my place. I know that God has placed you in LTC to be a light! What an honor! I too love older adults. Keep up the hard work! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete