Sunday, May 2, 2010

Vitamin D Day!

First of all please pray for the state of Tennessee. Lots of Nashville is under water at the moment....I know that the dietetic interns are off for the next couple of days just because of the inability to get around the city. I have a special place in my heart for Nashville and still have lots of friends there.

Well, Eric and I got home from church and it was just a BEAUTIFUL day so I decided that I was going to sit on our patio and get some quality Vitamin D (from the sun people) while I ate my lunch....

Isn't this sad looking......no patio furniture.....I can't wait for the end of the season so we can look for some sweet deals...I have my eye on some at Sears that I really like. If you know of any good sales let me know!

I know I've had this recipe on here before but I'm not kidding you HAVE to try it!!! I revised my recipe a bit this 2nd time so here's my revised version.... SERIOUSLY PEOPLE TRY IT!! When have I ever featured a recipe TWICE!


Southwest Chicken Salad

2-3 cups diced chicken
1 1/2 cups, frozen corn thawed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 can black beans (optional)
1/2 cup - 1 cup minced fresh cilantro

Dressing:
3 T lime juice
3 T olive oil
1 T honey
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients . In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Serve as desired. Which could be on a salad, in a wrap, grill up a quesadilla, eat with chips, in a pita or just eat it with a fork.

This weekend we tried it in a pita and tonight we're going to have quesadilla's to finish off the rest of the salad. It's just SO GOOD. Eric doesn't even like green/red peppers but I dice them up so pretty (okay small) that he really likes this recipe too. He says the flavor is great and you all should try it (okay I added in that second part)!!

The recipe featured on today's blog comes from Taste of Home a wonderful cooking magazine that my mom has subscribed me for!

Eric and I used avocado on our pitas! You could also add some almonds to for a tasty treat!

5 MORE DAYS OF WORK LEFT!!! And after this weekend....it has solidified the fact that I need something new.....lets just say I was in the car for around 5 hours this Saturday for work (definitely not planned)....and I got paid zip....oh well I helped out someone in need. I hope someone will watch over my patients when I leave......yikes!

3 comments:

  1. Was eric on the roof to take the picture ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried the recipe and yes it is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No dad he was standing inside....when are you going to come visit me?!?!?

    ReplyDelete