Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Man of the House


Well Eric is definitely earning his title of "Man of the House" tonight. Eric is very helpful around the house and kitchen (usually his role being doing the dishes after I've cooked.....I think its the perfect deal :-) BUT sometimes Eric has to step up his game on nights that I work late (for instance tonight)

We have been living on leftovers for the last couple of days but there wasn't much to choose from so if we wanted a home cooked meal then Eric was going to have to be the "Man of the Kitchen". I had a list of meals I wanted to try on the fridge for the week so Eric chose off the list....Drum roll please......Skillet Pasta Florentine.

The recipe comes from a Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking Magazine. Want to take a stab at it?? Here's what you'll need.

3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
1 egg beaten
2 cups 2% cottage cheese (we left this out....I can't stand to even look at cottage cheese...it's a texture thing)
1-1/2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shreeded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tsp each
dried parsley flakes
oregano
basil
1 jar spaggheti sauce
2 T grated parmesan cheese
1 lb ground hamburger (if you're meat lovers like Eric and I....I mean my dad is a cattle producer) I asked Eric to add this to the recipe

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile in large bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, ricotta, spinach, 1/2 c mozzarella and herbs.
2. Drain pasta. Place half of sauce in a large skillet; layer with pasta and remaining sauce. Top with cheese mixture.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining mozzarella: cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.




****Eric and I decided that this dish looks better than it tastes. If we make it again we would add more spices...garlic powder, chili powder, ect******

After dinner Eric asked if it was my job to do the dishes?? I gladly did the dishes with all he's done since getting home (later than usual for him too)

Oh yes we had our first how do we (Eric) fix this moment in our house. The toilet made a clicking sound this morning and wasn't filling and emptying properly but I didn't have time to deal with it so I e-mailed Eric at work and told him he'd need to work on it when he got home....lets say I got a phone call shortly after asking if I had left and there was a mess or something (I'm not stupid...I knew I wasn't going to be able to fix it....but you can give me some credit, I called to see if my dad was home...he wasn't so that's basically when I gave up)

After a couple of phone calls, one being to Eric's uncle who's a plumber....Eric had a success!!! He fixed it! AHH! I love my husband.

Eric says that being man of the house is tiring...Guess he deserves a beer!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Eric! A very multi-talented man of the house.

    ReplyDelete