Thursday, October 1, 2009

What's for Dinner...

Okay more like what's for Dessert...But yesterday I made Surprise Middle Cookies. You'll just have to wait till the end to find out what the surprise is but I can guarantee some ooey gooey goodness!



Before we start YES, I am a Dietitian but I love dessert just as much as the next person (maybe even more) My motto is EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!

Let's get started! Did I mention these cookies got a Champion ribbon at the Stafford County Fair? Even more reason to pull out the Mixer and Air Bake Cookie Sheets!

Surprise Middle Cookies

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. shortening
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 T sugar
48 ??????? (SURPRISE)
4 oz Almond Bark

Makes about: 4 dozen cookies

Heat Oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda and set aside. In large bowl, beat both sugars and shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs: beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well.

For each cookie, shape about 1 tablespoon of dough around ????(SURPRISE)


I use a cookie scoop so that my cookies are more uniform in size; HOWEVER, my cookie scoop broke yesterday :-( I'm very sad about this but I will add it to my Christmas List.

Can you guess what the surprise is????



Cover Completely (VERY IMPORTANT!!) otherwise you could have a BIG mess on your hands...

In small bowl, place 1 T of sugar (if you're me you can just dump some sugar in a bowl I don't measure this part :-) You could also add 1/2 c. chopped pecans and mix but I don't like pecans (I know shocking...)

Press one side of each ball into sugar mixture. Place sugared-side up 2 inches apart on slightly greased cookie sheets.


Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes; Remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely on wire racks.



Melt almond bark in microwave until smooth, you will have to stir the mixture to make it smooth. (use a reduced power setting to prevent the almond bark from burning)

Fill a decorating bag with almond bark and drizzle over cookies.

WAIT! I don't have a decorating bag so what to do? Never fail I have a solution. Use a plastic baggie and cut the tip of the bag and use as a decorating bag. :-)




HAVE YOU GUESSED THE SURPRISE YET?

Here's a Clue....



Did you Guess a ROLO chewy caramel in milk chocolate???

If you did you were right!



The Rolos in the center of these cookies melts and when you bite into one there is some ooey gooey chocolate and caramelly goodness. YUM!!!!



Here is Eric Enjoying a cookie with a glass of milk after work! AND REMEMBER Everything in Moderation is okay!!

As I have been writing this blog post it has been pouring cats and dogs here in Omaha. I'm glad I wasn't out running as the sky's opened up. Heads up, in another blog post I am going to take you on a tour of my running spots :-) Get excited!

I'll leave you with a picture from our balcony of the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment