Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What's for Dinner

Cooking can be dangerous. Last night I was making a casserole that you needed to grate cheese for. I was busy grating my cheese and let out a yelp. I had grated the top of my thumb. OUCH! But here's the kicker I did it again pretty quickly after that. Eric happened to be home so he offered to finish grating my cheese block to save me from myself. My camera ran out of juice so I couldn't stap a picture of him.

Last night I was watching the biggest loser DON'T WORRY I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE AWAY WHO WENT HOME! After last week I realized that I spoiled the ending for people. OOPS! So from now on I will say spoiler alert in big bold letters if I'm going to give the ending away. (Thanks Eric) Well anyway I was in tears during part of the show and I look over and Eric is watching me and I realize that he has never really watched this show with me until this year. I just think its amazing how much these people are changing their lives. So as we are going to bed last night Eric can barely tear himself away from the computer where he is reading some blogging board about K-State sports (this is a nightly occurrence) and he explains to me how I feel about the biggest loser is how he feels about K-State Basketball being predicted to be really good this year. WHAT??? I asked how does that change anyone's life and his answer well mine......

Well onto what's for dinner...or lunch. When Brian and Jillian were here I made a healthy version of pasta primavera.

Here is another Quick, Easy, and Nutritious meal! It's also Delicious.



12 oz linguine or spaghetti
4 cups frozen vegetable stir-fry mix
1 can (12 oz) evaporated skim milk
2 tsp chicken-flavor bouillon
1 1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried minced parsley

Optional: 2 cups diced chicken

About 40 minutes before serving: In large saucepan, prepare pasta as package directions and drain. Return pasta to saucepan: keep warm. In meantime cook frozen vegetables in microwave until warm. Add to large skillet on medium heat. In 2-cup measuring cup, using fork, mix milk, chicken bouillon, cornstarch and salt. Pour milk mixture into skillet with vegetables. Over high heat, heat to boiling (stirring continuously). Boil 1 minute. Add Parmesan cheese, parsley and pasta, tossing to coat well. Heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings



Nutritional Bites:
--I use whole grain pasta to provide more fiber: whole grain linguine 6 g fiber compared to enriched linguine with 2 g fiber.
--This recipe originally called for fresh vegetables but I like to use frozen vegetables because they don't spoil and frozen vegetables can be more nutritious since they are flash frozen right as they are picked to trap in all of the nutrients and flavor

Well I need to get out and run now because the weather man says its going to get colder as the day goes on and I want to run outside. I also need to figure out what I'm going to teach about for my nutrition lesson in the after-school program that I've been volunteering with....

No comments:

Post a Comment