Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's For Dinner....

Well last nights dinner isn't even worth mentioning....we (I) tried a new recipe from Taste of Home, Cranberry Kissed Pork Chops. I really don't like cooking pork chops because they never turn out all that great. BUT they were on sale (Almost half of the normal price) I didn't even take a picture of dinner even though it wasn't like Eric OR I was wolfing the dinner down. I think Eric even made a comment that I was playing with my food a lot last night :-) What can I say I'm a kid at heart!

Chicken Tortilla Soup has became a staple in our house since I had the soup at Eric's parents house when we were dating. Not only does it taste great but ANYONE can make it.


If you can open a can you make this soup!

Chicken Tortilla Soup from Eric's Mom

1 can chicken broth
1 can refried beans
1 can black beans, (drained and rinsed)
3/4 C salsa
1 can whole corn (all)
1 C chopped chicken

Simmer all together or put in crock pot.
Garnish with cheese and chips.

**I drain the black beans using my pasta strainer**



**I use frozen corn instead of canned corn because it has less salt I usually add some water to make up for the liquid that would have been in the canned corn**

**If you wanted to use all canned products you could use canned chicken**

When I first started making this soup on my own I didn't look at the recipe because I thought I had memorized it (I have an awful memory so why I thought I could do that I will never know). Well, we went to Eric's parents house one weekend and had the soup and the texture was a little thicker so I asked to look at Christy's recipe again to see what I was missing. I had forgotten the refried beans... the recipe will turn out if you forget the refried beans it will just be soupier.

Nutrition Bites:
**Beans are an inexpensive form of protein (I mean I got a can of black beans for $0.78)

**You could even add frozen vegetables to the soup. I just picked up some Frozen Mexican Style Vegetables consisting of broccoli, corn, cauliflower and red peppers! Perfect for this soup. (You might want to add some more water to the soup)

Great for a chilly fall evening!

3 comments:

  1. I grew up eating Tortilla soup! I'm glad you like it.. Granted the recipe my mom gave me makes a batch for like 20 people because we would keep it for a few days to eat for lunch with the bread loaf ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The refried beans are a nice addition to vegetable beef soup too. Thickens up the broth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that this winter...

    ReplyDelete