Saturday, March 13, 2010

I'm BACK!!!

Well today Eric and I made a big step in our married lives.....WE JOINED A GYM! Now you would think we would have joined as a couple but it was actually cheaper for us to get the student (under 26 rate) as individuals. Oh well when I turn 27 and if we are still members here we'll probably become a couple.....(lol)

Now as a former-avid exerciser (6 days a week of at least 45 to an hour a day) I will admit I fell off the workout train. I'm embarrassed to admit it and as a dietitian I felt so guilty for slacking in this department. In my defense, this winter has been a rough winter. Eric and I think it might have been worse than just Seasonal Depression I was pretty down in the dumps the last few months. It was a combination of things but mostly my job, moving to a new place and the rough Nebraska winter. Thanks for sticking in there with me babe! I was also a little burnt out on exercise coming off of the 1/2 marathon and then being an exercise fen (sp??) before our wedding (yes I admit I worked out a couple of times a day in the month or two leading up to the wedding) EXCUSES ASIDE.....I'm ready to hit the ground running again.....literally :-)

After we moved into our house I vowed to make a change and start exercising regularly again. Last week I tried out Anytime Fitness free with a 7-day pass.....I went 3 times which is way more than I have been exercising but I just wasn't excited about the gym. Not many people only 4 treadmills....and NO ARC TRAINER and there was only one group fitness class that I would have had to pay $75 extra for...no thanks.


So today I made Eric go with me to another gym close by...Lifetime Fitness.

It is HUGE and they refer to themselves as a club.....but that's not why we joined. During our tour I fell in love with it. The atmosphere is awesome and it's really what I've been looking for. Group fitness classes are included...there are so many treadmills I couldn't even count them all. And there were at least 15 arc trainers throughout the cardio room. It met Eric's requirements as well......which are a racquet ball court and a sauna. And Eric was excited that they have a cafe. Which we got to have lunch at for "free" today. I got a Fiesta Quesedilla and Eric got a chicken pesto pizza with a strawberry/banana smoothie. The menu has nutritional information right on it which was great.

Other Amenities Included in our membership:
  • spin class
  • in-door rock climbing
  • indoor/outdoor pool access
  • in-door hot-tubs
  • sauna and steam rooms
  • locker rooms with everything you need to get ready including blow dryers ect
  • And much more....
And for additional money we have access to:
  • Life spa/salon
  • Cafe
  • Raquet ball club
  • and more....

Now how am I going to make sure I get to they gym:
  • pack my workout bag and put it in my car....I drive by the gym on my way home from work so if I don't come home first then I won't be as tempted not to go
  • find workout classes I enjoy because if I look forward to working out I won't want to skip my workout
  • get up early.....not everyday but occasionally I need to go in the morning especially if I know its going to be long day at work (for instance Tuesdays....they always seem to be a long day that often goes into the night)
  • get Eric on the work out train with me.....then I'll feel guilty if he goes and I don't (what can I say...I'm kinda competitive)
Well wish me luck on my journey of getting back into shape and enjoying to work out again. :-) It's sad how quickly you lose it when you don't use it. Oh well all the more motivation to get back out there. I think this experience will be good for me when emphasizing with my future clients that I work with. I know its not easy to get in your workout with everything going on in your life but there are so many benefits to exercise and I truly believe that it can make you healthier, happier and more productive!

I'm excited for the old me to be back and what a great way to Spring Forward into Spring!

6 comments:

  1. Jill I can totally relate, although I was never one for working out to begin with. I've started to gain weight and my family is relentless in their comments about there being "more of me to love" (I know how nice- my brother also likes to poke my stomach and laugh not very nice) Anyway I've been worjing out everyday and it's taking a really really long time (4 weeks to lose 2 pounds) but I guess it's getting there (5 more pounds to go) and I still have 2 months till my sister's wedding! Good luck to us both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I know it can be hard and sometimes feel like you're not making much progress when your weight loss is slow but you're BEAUTIFUL and no one should make you feel less than that! 5 pounds is definitely doable in the 2 months! Not only exercise but just watching portion sizes on the food you eat is important... and you know I feel that you can enjoy everything in moderation :-)Love you!! Call me if you need someone to motivate or listen to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the perfect place for you, Jill (and Eric, too, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Lifetime Fitness here in Texas too, and it is an absolutely amazing gym. I'm sure you will love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, (along with Adam) have fallen off the workout train!! I was sooo motivated before the wedding, then afterwards....yea, not so much. So this is very inspiring!! We keep saying we'll work out from home or outside, but it's too easy to not. I'm all for joining a gym, as I love group classes (plus our apt. complex gym is not great at all)! Maybe I can convince Adam! :oD Thanks for the inspiration!! I'm proud of you guys!

    p.s. your new gym sounds like a dream!

    ReplyDelete