Monday, March 29, 2010

Southwest Chicken Salad

AS PROMISED.....SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SALAD.....But First Oh what a beautiful morning...Oh what a beautiful day (feel free to sing along)

Today was GORGEOUS....I ran/walked outside for 50 minutes then I sat out on the patio for a bit and read while soaking up the rays. AWESOME!!! I think I scared the neighborhood kids who cut through our yard to get to their friends house. One little boy hovered as close as possible to the neighbors fence. I didn't realize I was so scary looking!

But back to the featured recipe from my most recent edition of Taste of Home:



Here's what you'll need:

4 cups cubed chicken
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 cup chopped red/green peppers
1 cup chopped red, sweet or green onion
1 cup minced fresh cilantro (I don't love cilantro so I used a smaller amount)

Dressing: (I didn't follow the recipe exactly....so here's my version)
3 T lime juice
3 T olive oil
1 T honey
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
(Adjust as you see fit)
Optional: Fresh Avocado

Nutrition Bite on Avocados:
Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. You may have heard that they are full of fat.....well they are BUT its a healthy fat, monounsaturated fat which can help lower our cholesterol. So I'm not saying go hog crazy on avocado but its definitely a food to add into your diet occasionally. Did I mention they are yummy!

The great thing about this recipe is you can use it in multiple ways.

Wrap:
Dinner on Sunday night!

Salad:
Lunch on Monday.....me not taking a turkey sandwich means that this is a GREAT RECIPE!

Pita:
I couldn't find any at the grocery store. I'm not enjoying getting used to a new Krogers since the move...

Lettuce Cups:
Quesadillas:

Dinner on Monday night! Eric said it smelled like Chipotle....a very good thing in his mind

As you can see you REALLY need to try out this recipe! Eric and I were eating it as a dip while we waited for our quesadillas to cook. The possibilities are endless.....Let me know if you think of any other ways to use this Southwest Chicken Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment