Friday, March 12, 2010

Patience

Well Patience isn't something I have a lot of.....Eric definitely rounds me out well since his middle name should be patience.

So when I bought bananas 2 WEEKS AGO to make banana bread I did not expect to have to wait 2 weeks to make my favorite yummy quick bread. And to be honest I probably should have waited a bit longer but I just couldn't wait anymore (again that patience thing)

3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter milk (don't have any...no problem....mix 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 T of vinegar)

Combine first five ingredients. Add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, beating after each addition. Optional: Add nuts or chocolate chips (see below) Bake in large loaf pan or two small loaves or in muffin tins at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes (if using large loaf pan)

Want to mix it up?!?!
Banana Nut Bread: add 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Banana Chocolate Chip Bread: add 1/2 cup chocolate chips

As you can tell from the picture above this recipe has been used often and has definitely gotten some batter on it.......which I believe is the sign of a TASTY recipe that all of you should try out there!

Today I just went with the traditional banana bread. Can't wait to have some for dessert tonight!! YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. I too hate waiting on those darn bananas!!! I LOVE banana bread and will definitely be trying this recipe! p.s. I looked up a tip online...to ripen your bananas faster, put them in a paper bag with an unpeeled, uncut apple. Close the bag, and keep it in a dry, warm area. Check each day to see how ripe! I'll definitely have to try this next time!

    ReplyDelete