Thursday, January 7, 2010

Driving Lesson

Well my day didn't go exactly as planned. I didn't go into work till 11 but on my way there I got a call from the office "You have a referral" When I get there you guessed it was from a hospital in Lincoln......GREAT! My boss was all worried about me because another employee had gotten in a wreck on the way to work. My response, well what else am I supposed to do "Would you want to eat?" He sort of kind of offered to drive me but not really. I told him that I grew up on a farm and my dad had taught me well. So here are the lessons I learned on the farm.

1. Leave super early. I remember in High School my dad would make my brother and I leave so early on days that the weather was bad we would be the first kids at school. (WE always complained, today it took me double the amount of time to get to Lincoln)

2. Wear proper attire. NO flip flops. You have to have a coat. What if you have to walk for help! (I probably wouldn't walk....just a thought) Just for you dad. I had my snow boots on and ready!

3. Your trunk should be stocked. I always had a sleeping bag and blankets in my car trunk during the winter time and my in-laws gave me a kit for my trunk at Christmas. WINTER SURVIVAL, I even have my very own mini shovel!

4. Gas Tank Full!! Every time the weather turned for the worse my dad was always on us, "Did you fill up with gas at Zenith" "Make sure you fill up with gas, you want to make sure you have a full tank in case you run off the road and have to run it for awhile" I had a full tank when I left Omaha and filled up before I came home!

Now onto the driving tips!

5. Tap on your breaks! Never slam on your breaks when there could be ice this will cause you to skid and potentially cause you to get in an accident.

6. SLOW DOWN! Never go the speed limit. I swear some people were going faster than the speed limit today (I however was not. I drove about 45 the whole way to Lincoln)

(NO I did not take this picture while driving; however, the visibility was this good in a couple of places)

7. Don't follow the car in front of you closely. I think this should be common sense in bad weather but apparently not. I was doing fine until a car was closer that I would follow on a nice day. STUPID PEOPLE!!

8. Don't break and turn at the same time (this one is from my husband)

I hope you can use these tips this winter. -4 is the high tomorrow and I believe that it feels like -35 here today! LOVELY!

4 comments:

  1. 2 posts in one day! Jill good gracious you really are being a better blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same temperature in Stafford, KS and Atlantic, IA...a big fat 0! Humboldt, KS is a smidge colder at -2. Can anybody really tell the difference???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan is right: It is cold here, too! Thank you for not taking a photo when you're driving (that would have been in the lesson if camera phones had been invented at the time!) We are proud that you were actually listening to the driving tips. And, a referral - yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, I am so glad you are following all the driving rules. It's cold in Pratt Co also, .5 degrees at 7 am. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete